Thursday, May 12, 2005

Who Moved My Cheese

"On their journey, four characters barely survive until they finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and proceed to eat lots of cheese and are very happy. Then things begin to change. Sniff and Scurry soon notice changes in their environment. Hem and Haw, however, think they are out of the woods and take the cheese for granted. These two develop a comfort level in their newly found stash of cheese. Gradually the cheese begins to dwindle. Sniff and Scurry are not concerned. They see that the cheese is not going to last forever so they put on their running shoes and search for new cheese.

Meanwhile, Hem and Haw do not notice the dwindling supply of cheese. They are not alert to what the future holds for them. When all the remaining cheese is finally consumed, Hem and Haw throw two huge fits like little babies. This does not bring the cheese back, yet they remain unwilling to search for new cheese.

Change occurs and Hem and Haw are left behind. Hem is bitter and reluctant to leave the cheese station in order to find new cheese. He is very stubborn. He is too set in his ways to make the necessary changes. He thinks he deserved the cheese, and wants the cheese to be returned. He is not interested in searching for new cheese. His old cheese is the only cheese he wants and he refuses to leave the empty cheese station. Many people stick with old ways of doing things because it is too frightening or difficult to change with the times."


I'm beginning to think I work for Hem & Haw. Another rough day of "Don't worry things are getting better if we all just work together we'll get through this." The truth is this Company has been going downhill for over ten years. Out computer program is seventeen, yes 17, years old.

I got home from work yesterday and could barely move. I was brain dead. Good news is I've identified the source of my stress and anxiety, bad news is I'm still here.

The pressures of my work environment truly effect the way I react to things away from the office. I am constantly stressed knowing that I have to go back. Again, oblivious and stubborn management is to blame.

I feel like the character Peter Gibbons in the movie "Office Space"

Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!

Peter Gibbons: It's not that I'm lazy; it's that I just don't care

I couldn't have said it better myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home