Monday, April 25, 2005

Job Burnout on the Rise

At my desk this afternoon unable to work....I'm just too burnout. I've read and re-read every article on the internet trying to feel so not alone here. Here's what I've decided, I'm Beyond Burnout. Every list of symtoms doesn't even begin to describe what I feel on any given day in this place....AND....every list of remedies was written by someone who has NEVER really experienced REAL burnout themselves.

The remedy that gets me every time, to the point where I want to reach through my computer and grab the person that wrote and scream "Are you for real???" is......


"Schedule your time". What does that mean? When my phone rings, I'm REQUIRED to answer it. REQUIRED!!!! When work shows up in my "in box" I have to get it done ASAP. I have the bosses lurking around my desk asking if I'm done yet.

Here's another great one..."Identify the source of your burnout" It's my job, the whole thing. There is nothing about this job that doesn't stress me out. I am being paid to do what they want me to. I don't have a choice as to my schedule or hours etc.

Oh and gotta love "Get organized" If I had a spare moment, I couldn't spend it trying to get organized. I have to take a breather in order to make it through the rest of the day without getting dizzy. This is not a TV Sitcom, I can't walk across the street for a cup of coffee in the morning without having to take 1/2 day vacation time. I need every free moment I get, which is not many, to get ready for the next wave of work.

"It may be time for a career/job change" This one is the biggest joke of all. In this economy. I live in Michigan, the job market gets worse and worse every day. You no longer have your choice of jobs. Based on the current listings, I would have to take about a $5,000 pay cut to switch jobs. I have 15 years experience at what I do (yikes!) and barely make enough to get by as it is.

I don't ever think I've felt as much stress and I do coming in to work everyday. I stayed in bed this morning, as with every other morning until the very last minute. In between each snooze alarm I would lay there and pretend that I didn't have to go to work anymore. How wonderful that must feel. How much I could get done each day.............

If ANYONE out there has any advice or knows of an article with PRACTAL job burnout advice, let me in on it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home