Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Deja vu

I just read a post on a message board that sparked my interest. It was about Deja vu. Simply put is a sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all. Why this intrigued me so much was I've been getting these weird feelings during some of my relaxation techniques. Usually performed at my desk while I'm under stress.

There are two types of Deja vu; déjà visité ("already visited") and déjà vecu ("already experienced or lived through"). I've experienced both in the past. What I am experiencing now strikes me as a little odd. The feeling I get from the experience is so pleasant that I sometimes try to capture it.

It ususally goes down like this: I'm at my desk going crazy and I decide enough is enough. I switch to my whatever gets done, gets done work mode and do something a little less stressful to work my self in to a relaxation mode. Usually just some easy posting. I tune everything out. All of the sudden I picture a neighborhood (always the exact same), its a sunny day and the street is lined with small brick bungalos built close together. Each one perfectly manicured, with large trees lining the street. Usually I just see the street. One time I got the feeling of strolling down one side of the block. Then the feeling goes away. It's a fleeting and "un-provoked" flash. Sometimes lasting up to 30 seconds (it seems). After the flash is gone I try to picture it in my mind again because it is truly a place I call "Perfect". Its as if every once of stress and anxiety is gone from me for that moment. Nothing exists but this sirene street on a beautiful sunny day. Even though I can still picture the street in my head that "never been so relaxed" feeling of the feeling of actually being there is gone.

I did a little research on the subject and found that there is a theory that Deja vu may occur when the brain is in a deeply relaxed state. Several psychoanalysts attribute déjà vu to simple fantasy or wish fulfillment.

So I now realize that through some of the techniques I practice I actually can reach a state of deep relaxation. The next step is how to keep it!

I'm beginning to think that as long as I'm at this job and I'm with J (Live in boyfriend) I will never achieve the peace I need.

I'll keep working on it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home