Saturday, August 18, 2007

When your job makes you sick

What do you do when your job makes you sick?

I compare my job to having the flu. I feel ill five days a week. When I get home from work, I'm stressed because I know when I wake up each morning I'm going to have the "flu" again. I spend my weekends resting from the weekly "flu" or cramming everything I can in because I know that come monday morning I'm going to be sick again...not a healthy or happy way to live.

I understand I need a career change not just a new employer in the same field, but I'm so tired, sick and burned out I'm not sure were to start, or if I even have the energy to do so.

To me looking through the want ads for the same type of job is like looking for a new type of illness. Everytime I see a job I am qualified for I get queezy or a headache or that same old tired burned out, sick feeling.

So where to go from here.

I spend the last two hours reading about mid-life career changes and can't understand why I don't "get it". It seems that none of the suggestions apply. I don't have a high powered career with enough money saved up to get me through the transition or business contacts to network with. I can't imagine having the "flu" all day then heading to school at night. Heck, I'm not even sure what I want to do.

What I do know is that I need some balance and happiness in my life and my current career or job choice is sucking the life right out of me. I feel like I can't make it through another day. I'm tired, lost and confused.

My health and quality of life is going down hill because of my job. I really feel like I'm at a point in my life where I need to start enjoying myself and be true to my feelings, instead I'm at the mercy of the "flu".

15 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger zoe anne said...

Hi
i feel really sorry for you.
What is your job?
I feel tired and burned out too.
I work in a primary school helping to educate young children.
I always seem to be getting ill, and feel rubbish at the weekends.

Hope you find a career change that works!
zoeanne

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Make a list of the things that motivate you about this job and on the otherwise the things that do not. Once you have are happy with it get some career advice either from your employer or privately. You need to make changes soon I left it to late and it affected me psychologically and eventually physically. Your health is really important. I have been lucky and been given another chance and I am taking voluntary redundancy to retrain in an area I think I will be good at. It will be hard financially and mentally challenging but for the first time in five years I am excited in the future. You are worth more than this job and you will not be doing the job justice and destroying yourself as well. Good luck in all you decide.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Mama in Chile said...

Hi there, I went through the exact same thing, but and I know it's easier said than done, but keeping a positive mind, believing in yourself and having faith that you'll be ok is hugely important. If your job is making you so ill, you need to leave now. Do something else and don't look back, your health, happiness and inner balance is far more important than some "secure" job. There will be something out there for you, just let it in..

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What did you decide to do?? While reading this...it was like you read my thoughts. Just curious if you have any advice??

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger kappu said...

Right now,I think I am in the same stage... U r utterly confused, the word monday start scaring from saturday night itself... Sometime, U r confused between money, which i think is makin life lazier and lazier, and what we want to do...
Man, Great thing you wrote it down...

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Bobby said...

I feel the exact same way. I dont know what to do, where to turn and how to make my life better.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

What do you do? Is there any way you could freelance on a site like elance or something? Do you have any sort of chronic illness? This post left me with so many questions...
http://www.fibromyalgiaandfaith.blogspot.com

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Information about Stress in Job is really good & nice. I like all this content. For More Detail About Government Jobs

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger melli said...

Wow. your blog is like you have read my mind! I feel exactly the same and I am getting phsyically ill. I literally will not be able to work soon and am going part-time.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger melli said...

Let me know what you do in the end. I am applying for other jobs and thinking about getting a physical job for a change with less mental stress.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger pandagirl said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have been applying to other jobs in a completely different field, but no luck yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home