Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Napoleon Complex

Or sort of; yes, I'm speaking of my boss and the other family members that I work for. How does that apply to them?

Well, the way I see it is daddy started a company 50 years ago. He didn't leave his children with, vision, business smarts or people skills. What he did leave them with was an established business and a silver spoon. What did the employees and myself get out of it? Overbearing, mindless employers, with no leadership skills whatsoever. They finally get to be in charge after working for daddy for years and all they can do with it is marvel in the fact that they are now in control. We are left powerless.

This is not the first company I've experienced this in. I've had a widow who tried to take over her husband's real estate ventures and an accountant who's daddy left him his business. Unfortunately I seemed to have stepped in at the wrong time. Just as kiddie seems to think he or she has the world at their fingertips, spends their day as if the cash is endless and is to dumb, to drunk or to absent to realize this isn't a free ride, that their business is failing and their employee moral is low and their clients are unhappy.

Some might call me the idiot for taking these jobs. I very well may be, but what is apparent from behind the scenes, was not always obvious at the beginning. Some appear to be well established business with long-term employees, while in reality they are failing second generation companies with employees who feel stuck.

I did once have the opportunity for work for a fortune five hundred company. The job was a dream for the first year. It later became apparent that from poor management in our division, the corporation chose to close us down. I saw it coming and thought a small business would be the way to go. I got out before the lay-offs in my department started and took a job for one of the small companies noted above. To my surprise, nothing could have been worse.

I now know that my career choice is my problem. I majored in business and hate the corporate work, but seriously lack the resources to leave. I work on it everyday. Sometimes my motivation is high, other days I feel nothing but despair. I know deep down I can never let go of my determination. My day will come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home